Midnight Snacks

Midnight Snacks
Ritz, Cream Cheese, and Proscuitto...Delish!

Sunday, June 20, 2010

La Mia Prima Settimana

Exciting news....I got in to Italian 4! Considering I barely remembered any tense besides past and present this is pretty amazing despite taking 3 quarters of Italian already. The down side...I am supposed to be in 5 for my pre-intensive language program for Bologna. So I basically have to work my tushy off the first couple weeks and hang out with the tutor a lot until I can be switched into 5...It's a good thing I don't have a lot to do : )

So my apartment is pretty much amazing! It's huge! I was supposed to be in a mini residence which is basically a dorm with a communal bathroom and communal kitchen. Apparently they messed up or it got full or something because I lucked out and got this gigantic apartment just up the street. I have 1 roommate and 2 housemates. I feel really bad though because my roommate has a cold and has basically been sleeping all day. However, my housemate Abby is super amazing! We have done a lot of wandering in Siena together and we are going to travel a lot too! I am so happy that I found someone that fun and outgoing.

So basically Abby and I have been wandering around the city for the last 2 days exploring. Yesterday, we finally found our way outside the city walls and discovered a playground! We decided that see-saws are not nearly as cool when you are 21 as when you were 5. The whole concept really is not that awesome. We had to leave though when little kids showed up. We figured we should let them have their fun and enjoy the see-saw.

I have also been watching the world cup games at randome bars and pubs with people from the program. In the last 5 days, I have watched more soccer games than I have in my whole life! Let me just say....soccer lasts FOREVER! Turns out it is 90 minutes long and any time that is taken for penalties etc is added back on to the end of the game (a lot of you likely already know this but what can I say, I am an American football girl). In fact, we are leaving in about an hour to go to Paninoteca (I decided it means "Sandwich Club") to watch the Italy vs. New Zealand game. Considering the Italians are defending champs, it should be quite exciting. However, buying beers for 5 euro is getting really old really fast. Do you realize that is $6 for a freaking pint??? That's crazy to me! And their happy hour specials are definitely lame sauce...beers are 4 euro. However, Abby and I went to a caffe the other day and they had "happy hour" AND "happy breakfast". Be jealous! I can get an espresso and pasta, that's right pasta, for 1.50 euro from 10-11am haha! I love Italy!

I also found the best Chinese store ever! Imagine all the Chinese shops in Chinatown in San Fran with their oodles of random crap and then insert in into a random side street in Siena. Its amazing! I got a straightener for 12 euro, more plug adapters, and a 2.50 umbrella. That's right, I am a big spender : ) They also have 99 cent stores here, which resulted in stickers, paper towels, and snacks!

The other girls and I are planning a trip to Cinque Tere next weekend which I am pretty excited about since I have never been. I can't wait to see the ocean! Tomorrow is my first days of classes so I will keep you posted! Here are some random observations thus far:

Le macchine
The cars here are extremely small and make Mini Coopers look big. Also, within the wall of the city, there are no street lights or traffic signs. People walk in the middle of the street and if a car or moped comes, you just move to the side. It's very strange.

Le scarpe
Italians only wear heels or tennis shoes of varying sorts. I have yet to see an Italian in sandals. I do not know it is just a Siena thing or what but they rarely show their little toe-sies.

Le scale
The marble stairs here are semi-dangerous. I was walking down the stairs to my apartment in the morning and slipped, crashing into Abby (she made me write this haha). Don't worry I didn't hit my head or anything, but I do have some lovely bruises as evidence. Just when my houseboats bruises and cuts finally went away, too...

Proscuitto
It's everywhere! I love it. It's on panini, pizza, everywhere! There are also a trillion kinds in the grocery store (which I have been to every day since I have been here). However, proscuitto di San Daniele is hands down THE best! It is a little bit more expensive, but I have decided it is worth it. Coming back to the states where we only get proscuitto on special occasions is going to be a serious problem.

For now, it is time to get dressed and go watch the game. Don't worry, I will have plenty more observations to come.

Ciao!


No comments:

Post a Comment